Saturday, November 10, 2012

Uhh, I think I just ate a nut, whoops

       So, for my exciting Saturday night, I experienced my first allergic reaction at college. Since my first lovely allergic reaction at Ruby Tuesdays eating a blondie sundae when I must've been only seven years old, I have had many more reactions to tree nuts. At the time they aren't too fun, but they always make for fun stories afterwards. My favorite reaction, if it's possible to have a favorite, has to be at the Dutch Apple. When I was about ten years old, I excitedly ran up to the endless dessert bar at the Dutch Apple and chose everything imaginable. My sister had a really good looking dessert, but it looked like it had nuts in it, so I asked her. "No, it's marshmallows, I swear." said my sister. I had a moment of hesitation before I gleefully took the dessert and gobbled it up. About ten minutes later, when we all visited the gift shop, I noticed that my tongue was "sweating", for lack of a better term, which is sort of like my sixth sense for determining if I ate a nut or not. Before I could run to the bathroom, I threw up literally right outside the door to the bathroom, and then again, literally less than a foot in front of the toilet. I basically threw up everywhere BUT the toilet. The saddest and funniest part is when the manager, who did not look happy at all, put some kind of cat litter product down to mask the smell. Ahh, sweet memories. Anyways, I always had the same thing happen to me when I ate a nut: tongue sweat, maybe a little bit of red splotches, and then I would throw up. But, this past May, I ate a nut, and I ended up not being able to breathe and had to go to the hospital, after my mom, who WORKS at the hospital and goes there every day of her life for the past 18 years, got lost going to the E.R. Honestly, if I wasn't struggling to breathe, I would've been laughing. You've got to laugh at the little things in life. Luckily, we made it there just in time. I rolled down the window and threw up on a random street, where a man looked at me with a completely unchanged expression. I guess the tough streets of downtown Lancaster had hardened him so that nothing could faze him. I then threw up about a foot away from the two ladies who were unfortunate enough to be working that night. I ended up staying the night at the hospital, which by the way had much nicer accommodations than many hotels I have stayed at, and left in the morning refreshed and ready to take on the world. Since that experience, I have been extra cautious about my allergy, because frankly, I don't want to die. But it seems that today at the dining commons, while trying to eat my quinoa, it got mixed with the broccoli and almonds in the next tray over, and, well you know how the rest of it goes. The only problem is, this time my mom wasn't with me. My mom was extra worried, because "Dr. Cheryl", as I affectionately call her, couldn't take care of me. So I ended up having to calm her down, instead of the other way around. But the story has a happy ending, as I am now safe in my room, writing my blog, waiting for SNL to come on. Who says I don't have crazy Saturday nights?



No comments:

Post a Comment